Numerous procedures in cosmetic dentistry can give patients a whiter, more radiant mouth. These procedures may involve veneers, dental restoration, teeth whitening, etc. Finding the ideal professional to perform cosmetic dentistry is the biggest problem. Some dentists market a specific area of expertise in aesthetic dentistry. Others may have a distinct field of expertise, like family dentistry. Others might limit their service to a specific community or area. But what does that mean for you when you’re looking for a new dentist?
Can A General Dentist Perform Cosmetic Dentistry?
Yes, a general dentist can perform most “cosmetic” treatments. However, there are instances when it will be beneficial to look for someone whose practice is more dedicated to or concentrated on those procedures. Depending on what is required, a patient may need to look for a prosthodontist, cosmetic dentist, or even a regular dentist.
Any dental treatment that enhances the look of teeth, gums, or the bite is considered cosmetic dentistry. Its primary goal is to improve the grin’s appearance in terms of color, alignment, shape, size, and general smile appearance. Among other things, some of these treatments include tooth restoration, veneers, and teeth whitening. In general, a general dentist can assist with the following:
- Dental fillings – A filling is used to repair a tiny hole in a tooth, also known as a cavity. A dentist removes the decayed tissue from the cavity before filling it with a filling substance.
- Dental Crowns – Dental crowns are coverings that are affixed to broken teeth. When fillings are ineffective, crowns are used to safeguard, cover, and restore the shape of your teeth. Metal, porcelain, resin, and ceramic can all be used to create dental caps.
- Tooth Extractions – An extraction is a process used to remove a tooth from the gum. A regular dentist, an oral surgeon, or a periodontist typically performs it.
- Implants – Dental implants are medical devices surgically inserted into the mandible to improve a person’s look or ability to chew.
- Braces – Dental braces are orthodontic appliances that straighten and align teeth, assist in positioning them concerning a person’s bite, and work to better dental health.
Nevertheless, a general dentist can perform many of the procedures listed under cosmetic dentistry, particularly in rural areas with fewer of them. Before visiting a cosmetic dentist, patients with a general dentist should determine if they perform these treatments. By allowing you to schedule an appointment online, the Dental Health Society also makes it simple to locate a doctor. Going to a cosmetic dentist might be a better option in more complicated situations because they may have more experience than a general dentist.
Cosmetic Dentistry with 3D Dentistry
Overall, cosmetic dentistry is a field of emphasis rather than a specialty. It’s crucial to consider the procedure type when choosing whether to visit a general dentist rather than a cosmetic dentist. At 3D Dentistry, we can help you regain confidence in your smile. Call us at (941) 253-2300 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Victor Bustos today. The dentists at 3D Dentistry care about your oral health and overall wellbeing.